Wednesday 3 July 2013

Day 209: A day with a 'french twist'

Day 209 (3 Jul) Wednesday. Weather has warmed up and, as we say in these parts, the Brisbane winter is effectively over. Well, for a while, until the Westerly winds of the Ekka. 

Working away, at 6.12am
One of the nice things about not having days determined by a timetable is the little bit of flexibility that comes with the work day. This morning then, I have a chance to catch up 'in real life' with two tweepsters, Cathy (@Chasseur06) and Patty (@Pattycam) both of whom I tweet with on a daily, sometimes hourly basis. We've settled on a patisserie in the city, French Twist at The Barracks. That's a bus trip and a bit of a walk for me, but I'm looking forward to it. We also include @Aquapuppy who has returned to Germany but tweet anyway, for when she wakes up. It's one of those nice things about twitter. 
Get me the subby! Our local paper...

But before that, I still have some writing to do. I've been thinking about the 'fact check' piece on the Brisbane Airport and so I'm up early drafting out the key points. At 6.12am I've been at the computer for about an hour...the notes are there now but I just need to put it all together. I think I should be able to do that after morning tea, the deadline is 4.00pm. 

On the way to the bus stop, I pick up the local weekly newspaper off the front lawn, might as well take it with me. I actually quite like reading the local paper, it gets down to a level I wouldn't normally hear about and, since he became the local member in 1998, Kevin Rudd had featured regularly. I consider it useful for work purposes...well that's my excuse. I'm glad I did today though, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at the juxtaposition of the headlines on the front page...oh my goodness. 

It was wonderful to catch up with Cathy and Patty and as I've mentioned previously, it is one of the unexpected bonuses of joining up to the twitterverse. We are all rather well-behaved and quite disciplined considering the delicacies on offer. After an hour or so, I'm off home again and set about writing the article. I manage to get it done by 3.00pm, ahead of deadline. 

Arts and craft, at 6.12pm
That gives me an extra hour to get to mounting the Ekka photos. To be honest, I'm not entirely clear about the conditions regarding the mountings...can I attach a mat board? I do anyway, and attach the labels. That was the 'fun' I was having at 6.12pm, measuring, cutting, taping up the photos and card backing. By 7.00pm they were all done and packed up for delivery tomorrow...and then the waiting...I wonder if there will be a twist in this tale before the month is out. 

I understand Kevin Rudd remains prime minister at this stage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.